Janet Moreira is the Founder and Lead MAVEN. She is a Board-Certified Attorney specializing in Intellectual Property. Ms. Moreira has been practicing in the area of intellectual property for the last 12 years. Her practice involves most aspects of intellectual property focusing on trademarks, domain names, and copyrights and specifically, international trademark portfolio counseling and management, trademark clearance, trademark and copyright prosecution, maintenance and intellectual property enforcement.
Ms. Moreira has extensive experience assisting her clients with the creation of trademark and branding strategies and developing action plans to maximize value and protection – domestically and internationally. She also regularly negotiates and prepares intellectual property licenses, marketing agreements, vendor agreements, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements, and other agreements relating to intellectual property issues.
Ms. Moreira’s practice also includes significant work litigating trademark, copyright, unfair competition, and domain name disputes in federal court, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the United States Patent and Trademark Office, and through Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy proceedings.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
- Florida Bar Board Certified Specialist – Intellectual Property Law, 2008-present
- Florida Bar Intellectual Property Certification Committee, 2009-2015
- Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star – 2010, 2011, 2012
- International and domestic trademark portfolio management, registration, clearance and licensing
- Uniform Domain Name Dispute (UDRP), Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB), and federal court litigation
- Contract review, preparation, and negotiation (e.g. technology, public relations vendors, licensing)
- Development of trademark/trade dress protection programs, brand manuals; review of advertising materials
- Franchise contract review, franchisee compliance
- Former Shareholder and Lead Intellectual Property Prosecution Attorney of Stearns Weaver Miller Weissler Alhadeff & Sitterson, P.A.
- Former associate with intellectual property boutique, Lott & Friedland, P.A.
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE – FRANKLIN PIERCE LAW CENTER, Concord, NH Juris Doctor, May 2002
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE, Durham, NH Bachelor of Science, May 1995 Major: Business Administration / Minors: Marketing and Spanish
- Florida Bar Intellectual Property Certification Committee, CommitteeMember, 2009-2015
- International Trademark Association Emerging Issues Committee, 2012-present
- Miami Children’s Museum, Co-Chair Halloween Fundraiser event, Gala Committee, 2011 – present
- Southern Regional Entertainment and Sports Law Conference, Panelist and Speaker, 2005-2007, 2009
- Successfully negotiated resolution of numerous infringement disputes involving trade dress, trademark and copyright counterfeiting issues, generic marks, common law rights and domain names
- Successfully argued against the entry of preliminary injunction in a copyright infringement lawsuit relating to technical drawings
- Successfully obtained transfer of domain name in Uniform Domain Name Dispute Proceeding before the National Arbitration Forum on the basis of client’s common law rights in trademark
- Successfully argued, on appeal to the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, reversal of refusal to register mark based on geographical descriptiveness
- Successfully negotiated a trademark consent agreement on behalf of a real estate developer in connection with the contemporaneous use and registration of similar marks, resulting in federal registration
Beyond her professional experience, which is summarized above, Ms. Moreira is a busy mother of two energetic, little boys. When not assisting her clients, she loves to spend time exploring new adventures with her children, enjoying the performing arts, attending live music performance, dining out, networking, and spending time with family and friends.